Friday, February 22, 2013

Using Acrylic Paint and Charcoal

This week I had the oppertunity to dabble a bit in the subtractive properties of acrylic paint and make a value scale with charcoal.  It has been some time since I have used either medium but here is how they came out:
My 1st, 2nd and 3rd Attempt

The actual process of making the two pieces was a little nostalgic.  It brought me back to the art club I was in while in middle school and high school.  It has been a long time since I painted something other than a house wall too!
Final Outcome


I would have to say the one I enjoyed working with the best would be the acrylic paint.  I was able to control the outcome so much easier.  After a few attempts that is.  At first I was using a pure Phthalo Blue and it was not working.  I went to a Primary Cyan on the second showing and it was still too dark.  After watching the video tagged below a few more times I noticed that the creator was watering down the colors.  I tried this approach with quite a bit more success as seen in the final outcome above.  The charcoal was less forgiving.  I think that painting was easier for me as well because I have done more of it over the years.

Color Theory 2: Paint/Pigment Primary Colors, The Truth!!!
10 Step Value Scale

This video was crazy to me.  Suggesting Red, Yellow and Blue are not the primary colors! WHAT!  I had to watch it twice and sure enough the proof was in the pudding as it where.  That was the mind blower of it all, that red, yellow and blue are not able to mix a black but magenta, yellow and cyan can!  Which makes Red, Blue and Green secondary colors!  I felt like I was lied to all through school.  Yellow Magenta and Cyan are the 3 colors you see in most printer cartridges so I see the truth behind it but actually having to perform it was a shock.  So much for Orange, Purple and Green as secondary colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment