Thursday, April 11, 2013

Module Nine - Video Reviews

This section had a strong focus on the different movements of art over the centuries and how each period offered its own take on artistic evolution.  I watched two videos on artists and their works and contributions to the art world were the main focus.  Here are the two videos:
Leonardo da Vinci : The Mind of the Renaissance
I selected this video simply because I enjoy the works of Leonardo da Vinci.  I simply wanted to know more about him and his life.  This video really focused on the life of da Vinci from start to finish.  Literally from birth to death.  The amazing thing that is captured is how much time and effort he put into all of his different fields of expertise and that he did not consider himself a well read man.  That last bit really surprised me.  I just can not fathom how much detail he put into his simple sketches of machinery and inventions.  Then add his ability to paint and create art, this man was simply amazing and it must have been a special treat to have lived and learned with him.  I think this video painted a great picture of his life and really showcased how he moved from one area of work to another.  His life was so full of interest that this video is really just to short to really dive into more detail on all his pieces and ideas.

Albrecht Durer: Image of a Master
This video was picked for an odd reason I must admit.  I noticed that Durer was a artist that made a lot of pieces by print and use of wood cutouts among other materials.  These reminded me of a movie, the 9th Gate, and the prints that were the focus of that movie.  So I dove in to see what more I could learn about the craft.  This was another almost biographical approach to Durer's life.  It was a little short to really capture any true details of the artist but the main concept was how well this artist was known for his ability to paint portraits.  His ability to capture the life like qualities and exploit the process of aging made his pieces true to life.  His work with printing, though great, was more on the focus of paying the bills.  He did play with new techniques and other new concepts and his fame came more from this than painting, though both were great.  I liked the video and actually did some more research on the topic of his works in the printing section of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment