Saturday, April 13, 2013

Module Ten - Art Exploration Project

Our task here was to create a mask.  No real style is required but the thought process needs to be documented from online resources and even planned sketches for the final product.  Personally I was drawn to some really overly complex masks then came to the realization that I did not have the time to make these work.  Here were a couple of my first inspirations:

I thought these were all well done and in line with what I wanted to make, but sadly I do not have the time or materials to produce these.  So I figured lets take a step back and consider a new angle.  My next step was Margi Gras because these are decorative, ornate and can be a touch easier to create.  I found a ton of inspiration for these from countless photos I have seen over the years from the actual even and then good ol' Google helped as well.  Here are a few that caught my eye:

This seemed more like what I could tackle, well not so much the off white one wearing a hat, but it was neat looking.  So this was my plan and the only way I was going to pull it off is with a 3D mask, crap!  This leads to the slight delay, I need to make a paper mache based that can then be painted and decorated, obviously I could just by a base and add t it but where is the "art" in that.  So I drew up some concepts and will make a mask based on some variation of these:

sgalante's Module 10 Art Project album on Photobucket

Turned out the paper mache idea was not going to work in any sort of timely manner.  My daughter and I did make a nice mess testing the idea though.  This is how the final product came to existence:

sgalante's Final Product album on Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment