Friday, May 10, 2013

The Metal and Stone Warriors of the World

This project took some time for me to think through.  I wanted something that I would actually go see and yet something not so boring and repetitious that I would never make it through the exhibit.  Taking the time to find pieces that fit the image you are going for coupled with the sizes and mediums you want really limit your selection.  I found myself pouring over thousands of images on ArtStor and Google to find more and more images.  Before I knew it I have over 50 images and details collected and had to start narrowing the pieces down.  This allowed me to be a bit more selective and open the door for some planning on layout.

Since I was going for pieces from all over the world I did not want to focus on the separation of the origination of the piece.  What I wanted to do was embrace the difference of how societies evolve in the same would during the same time periods.  This lead me to the idea of keeping the exhibit linear and this way I could show pieces from all over the world and how they compared at the same time.  You could pieces from Asia and the Americas then look over and see how different they all look from the works in Africa and then you realize the time line and how different each culture was in the same year.

I wanted to show a proposed layout for my exhibit but it was not coming across as a good way to show my idea.  What I would like is a perimeter that forces the viewer to either walk forward in time or backwards.  Thus the idea of my view of evolution and de-evolution in regards to the advancement of art form, expression and depiction.  This layout would be the best, I do not want people time jumping from 5th Century B.C. to the 1300's and then out to the 20th Century.  My vision is the progression and relation aspect of the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment